What better way to usher out the old and in the new than with a celebration - even if it's at home? Don’t forget the past year; send it out in the finest fashion by repurposing a couple of your holiday boxes. It’s easy: Use them to create fabulous decor—like this bedazzled (and durable) 2023 party display constructed out of corrugated packaging.
Ready to get started? Here’s what you’ll need and how to do it:
2023 New Year’s Party Display: Supplies
- 2 broken-down boxes, preferably at least 2 by 2 feet
- 4 16-ounce bags of gold paper confetti
- 5 glue sticks
- Box cutter*
- Fishing wire (optional)
- Foam paintbrush
- Glue gun
- Gold glitter paint
*Adult supervision required
2023 New Year’s Display: Instructions
Step 1: Deconstruct Boxes
- Break down the two boxes so they lie flat. (Not sure how best to break down a box? Check out our step-by-step instructions.)
- Cut the boxes along their right and left sides to get four corrugated panels.
Step 2: Print, Trace, and Cut Your New Year’s Numbers
- Trace and cut out each number with scissors.
- Center each number on its own box panel and trace using a pencil. Once you’ve finished tracing the numbers, recycle the paper templates or reuse them to make additional decor.
- Carefully use a box cutter to slice along the pencil lines to cut out each number.
Step 3: Decorate
- Use a foam paintbrush to coat each number with gold glitter paint.
- Once the paint is dry, use a glue gun to make small squiggle lines and blotches, covering a few inches at a time. Quickly apply gold confetti while the glue is wet. Repeat until each number is covered in paper confetti.
Step 4: Display
- Arrange your prop in a central location, or use fishing wire to hang it from the ceiling above your snack and beverage table.
Prefer another color to gold? Purchase paper confetti in your favorite hue, or make your own confetti from used holiday wrapping paper or old newspapers.
After you’ve finished decking out your house in decor, remember to pick up paper cups so you’ll have something to sip as you count down the seconds until the new year. Need an extra punch of inspiration? Tie it all together by mixing together this festive raspberry fizz. Cheers!