Why are unboxing videos such a hit? Because of what’s revealed when you open the flaps! But it's not just what's inside, the box itself can be just as interesting. Check out these 8 surprising facts about paper packaging that will add a little more excitement to your next unboxing experience.
- More than 92% of paper packaging gets recycled.
- Two-thirds of people say sustainable packaging plays a major role when buying a product.
- More than 80% of products sold in the United States come in cardboard boxes.
- The cardboard box was inducted into the National Toy Hall of Fame in 2005.
- Cats can’t help loving cardboard boxes–it’s instinctual.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency. “Facts and Figures About Materials, Waste and Recycling.” 2015.
- Ipsos on behalf of Paper + Packaging Board. “Research Findings: Most Americans Say That the Design of a Product’s Packaging Often Influences Their Purchase Decisions.” 5.2.18.
- United Barcode Systems. “Cardboard Boxes: Composition, Requirements, Uses, and Printing.”
- National Toy Hall of Fame. “Inducted Toys: Toys by Year List.”
- Gardiner, B. “What’s Up With That: Why Do Cats Love Boxes So Much?” Wired, February 3, 2015.
- Paper and Packaging Board. “8 Surprisingly Interesting Facts About Your Food’s Packaging.”
- American Paper & Pulp Association. “Tensile Properties of Paper and Paperboard (Using Constant Rate of Elongation Apparatus.” Tappi. June 13, 2006; Ashby, M., and Jones, D. “Cement and Concrete.” Engineering Materials 2 (fourth edition). Elsevier, 2013.