Arbor Day celebrates the role of trees in our everyday lives and encourages people to plant and care for trees. Did you know the paper and packaging industry is the largest planter of trees in the country?
Every member of the paper and packaging industry that manages forestland works with independent, internationally recognized certification programs to ensure our forest habitats are sustainably stewarded and protected.
And we’re getting results. Here are more important facts:
- Family owned forests provide more than 90% of the paper products in the United States.
- Over the last 60 years, the net volume of trees on U.S. forestland has increased by 58%.
- Private and family foresters plant about four million trees every day, or five times as many trees every year as there are people in the United States.
- 67% of all paper and cardboard packaging/boxes are recycled.
- Paper and packaging lead multiple lives. They can be recycled up to seven times.
So go outside and enjoy the trees, and know that the paper and packaging industry planted thousands more in the time it took you to read this sentence!